Saturday 2 February 2013

Old-Fashion Charm's Period Drama Challenge: January tag questions

Old-Fashioned Charm

1. What period dramas have you watched in January?
The first period drama I watched in January was when I went to see "Les Misérables" in the cinema on its UK release date of 11th January. It felt like a huge deal because I've had such a love of the musical since I was 9 - that's a story for another day. Then I watched "The Young Victoria" on BBC iPlayer one day just for something to do as I'd never seen the film before! then I watched (but decided not to review - for now) the 1995 BBC "Pride and Prejudice" on 28th January for the book anniversary!

2. Do you prefer period dramas peppered with humor or laced with dark emotions?
That's a difficult one. I think normally I'd say humor - but recently I've become attached to those with darker storylines. Not too dark, though, as that can get to me and haunt me for a long time afterwards.


3. What was the first period drama miniseries (two episodes or longer) that you ever watched?
The first I ever watched was the 1995 BBC "Pride and Prejudice"! As a young child we had it on videotape, and then when I was around 9 or 10 I fell in love with all things Jane Austen and was bought the DVD as a present!



4. How many Jane Austen adaptations have you seen?
Pride and Prejudice: 1981, 1995 and 2005
Sense and Sensibility: 1995 and 2008
Emma: 1972, 1996, 1997 and 2009
Mansfield Park: 1983, 1999 and 2007
Northanger Abbey: 1986 and 2007
Persuasion: 1995 and 2007
So I have seen 16 Jane Austen adaptations in total!


5. What period drama, that you haven't seen before, are you most looking forward to seeing in the future?
Probably the 2012 film of "Great Expectations" - as a film rather than a series I doubt it'll be close to the book (and I've heard they've made the ending different?) but the costumes look absolutely beautiful - and as a costume-orientated person I feel that's reason enough! 

3 comments:

  1. I have yet to see a version of Northanger Abbey -- would you recommend either of the ones you've seen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend the 2007 one definitely, but probably because I'm most familiar with it! There are odd casting choices in both and both have some points which don't have the book's feel. But I personally found the 2007 adaptation more enjoyable to watch! :P

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'll try to find a copy.

      Delete