Sunday 9 December 2012

Welcome!

Hi there! I'm Jazzie, I'm 15 and hoping to have a career in costume. I love all things stage, screen, historical and fantasy. I've made a few costumes already and am hoping to make more.
A love of all things Jane Austen sparked an interest in historical costumes, and then beginning textiles GCSE at a new school last January made me get seriously interested in costumes!
My favourite aspect is historical costumes, particularly from the late 18th century to the early 19th. I love researching all the details, and looking around museum collections (both in the museums and, of course, online) is probably my favourite part of research.
However, I'm not completely crazy over historical accuracy! I love looking at different ways to make a costume work for stage - for example, looking correct but being able to sing, or making quick changes easier.
Another costume-related interest of mine is cosplay. I go to MCM Expo in London every May and October, and cosplay is a fun way to learn new costuming techniques! Making a costume match a game, comic, cartoon or book character is another way of learning how to make/design a costume for a character.
I always have costuming projects going on, and I will always show the outcomes of these projects. I might also show steps leading up to the final pieces. I enjoy using patterns, and making up my own patterns based on what I've observed and researches. Everything is part of the learning process in my eyes!
The first thing I will have done to show is my GCSE coursework, which should be completed by around April (I think). After that, I have a host of costumes I want to create!

(This will hopefully be the only post which is all wordswordswords)

No comments:

Post a Comment